Spicy beer can chicken is a flavorful and juicy dish that combines the smokiness of the grill, the spiciness of a dry rub, and the moisture from the beer to create a mouthwatering experience. The beer can serves as a stand to keep the chicken upright, allowing it to cook evenly and absorb the beer's flavors.
What Do You Need to Make Beer Can Chicken?
Here's a detailed original recipe for spicy beer can chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds)
- 1 can of beer (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Spicy Beer Can Chicken Rub Recipe
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
How To Make Spicy Beer Can Chicken
- Prepare the Grill:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If you're using a charcoal grill, set up the coals for indirect heat cooking.
- Prepare the Chicken:
- Remove the giblets. Then take a sharp chef’s knife or boning knife and remove the excess fat from the cavity of the chicken. Rinse the chicken under cold running water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Spicy Dry Rub:
- In a bowl, mix together smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, kosher salt, and ground black pepper to create the spicy dry rub.
- Apply the Spicy Rub:
- Rub the chicken all over, including under the skin and inside the cavity, with the spicy dry rub mixture. Be generous to ensure the chicken is evenly coated with the flavorful spices.
- Prepare the Beer Can:
- Open the can of beer and pour out about half of it (or drink it!). Use a can opener to make a few additional holes on the top of the beer can to allow the steam to escape.
- Insert the Beer Can:
- Carefully place the chicken over the beer can so that the can is inserted into the cavity of the chicken. The chicken should be standing upright on the can and its legs and wings should form a tripod to support it.
- Grill the Chicken:
- Place the beer can chicken directly on the grill grate over indirect heat (i.e., not directly over the flames or coals).
- Close the lid of the grill and let the chicken cook for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the meat, and the skin is crispy and browned.
- Rest and Serve:
- Once the chicken is done, carefully remove it from the grill, using tongs and oven mitts, as the beer can and chicken will be hot.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carefully removing the beer can. Discard the beer can and carve the chicken into serving pieces.
- Enjoy Your Spicy Beer Can Chicken!
- Serve the spicy beer can chicken with your favorite side dishes like grilled vegetables, charred street corn, coleslaw, or potato salad. It's a delicious and satisfying meal that will surely impress your guests!
Note: Be cautious when handling the beer can chicken and the beer can, as both will be hot during and after cooking. You can use a beer can chicken stand to make handling and transportation easier. Feel free to adjust the level of spiciness in the rub by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne pepper according to your taste preferences. Enjoy the spicy and flavorful goodness of this delicious beer can chicken recipe!